Nollywood Guilds Suspend Actor Taiye Ayimoro Over Violent Set Incident


The three major Nollywood guilds have jointly suspended actor Taiye Ayimoro following investigations into a violent incident on the set of the film Pieces of Love earlier this month.

In a unified statement issued on Thursday, the Directors Guild of Nigeria (DGN), Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) and the Association of Movie Producers (AMP) said Mr Ayimoro was found to be the “primary aggressor” in an altercation that occurred on 12 November. 

RoundReports learnt that the review drew on findings from each guild’s disciplinary or fact-finding committees.

According to the joint decision, the actor allegedly assaulted the production manager and a driver before releasing a live video that misrepresented the incident and wrongly implicated the film’s producer, Ms Peggy Ovire, who was not present during the initial confrontation.

The guilds said the director, production manager and crew were not culpable in any wrongdoing.

Under the sanctions announced, Ayimoro has been suspended from all Nollywood productions “until further notice,” with all guild members directed to withdraw from any project involving him. 

He is also required to issue a public apology on the same platform he used in the live broadcast, address the producer and director by name, and publish a corrective video outlining an accurate account of events.

He must also return to complete two outstanding scenes for Pieces of Love under supervised conditions and comply with any further directives from the three guilds.

The review also addressed the conduct of Ovire, stating that while she did not initiate the confrontation, she “acted emotionally” when she pursued the actor outside the estate where filming was taking place. Her actions, the guilds said, contributed to the escalation of the dispute.

She has been instructed to issue apology letters to the guilds through AMP, write an apology to the estate management, and submit a written undertaking to ensure better personnel management on future productions. 

Furthermore, she must sign an undertaking on behalf of her driver, Mr Joshua, guaranteeing he would not engage in misconduct on any set.

Reaffirming a zero-tolerance position on violence, intimidation or harassment in the industry, the guilds announced plans to introduce a unified Nollywood On-Set Conduct and Safety Code to be applied nationwide.

AMP President Queen Blessing Ebigieson, DGN President Uche Agbo, and AGN President Emeka Ejezie Rollas signed the statement, which was copied to film authorities and industry bodies.

Rollas, in a personal note attached to the decision, said the guild’s actions were taken to protect practitioners and rebuild trust within the acting community. 

He described the move as “a step born of responsibility and love for our industry,” adding that AGN would continue to act with transparency and compassion.


READ ALSO: BREAKING: Alfred Jking Takes Ijaw Sound to Britain in 2025 UK Tour





Comments