Trump Vows ‘Permanent Pause’ on Migration From Developing Nations


United States (US) President Donald Trump has pledged to “permanently pause” migration from “Third World countries,” in a Thanksgiving message that sharply criticised decades of American immigration policy.

In the statement released on Thursday, Trump argued that the US immigration system had been overwhelmed and claimed that migrants from “failed nations, prisons, mental institutions, gangs, or drug cartels” had contributed to rising social and economic pressures in the country.

He asserted that the foreign-born population had reached 53 million and accused previous administrations of allowing what he called “disruptive” inflows.

America has been divided, disrupted, carved up, murdered, beaten, mugged, and laughed at,” he said, adding that a migrant earning $30,000 annually could receive “roughly $50,000 in yearly benefits” for their family, a claim critics have previously disputed.

Trump said immigration was the “leading cause of social dysfunction in America,” and singled out Minnesota, alleging that Somali refugees were “taking over” the state and that gangs were “roving the streets.”

He vowed a sweeping overhaul of the system, promising to end federal benefits for non-citizens, reverse what he termed “Biden illegal admissions,” denaturalise individuals deemed a threat to “domestic tranquillity,” and deport anyone considered a “public charge” or “non-compatible with Western civilisation.”

I will permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the US system to fully recover. Only reverse migration can fully cure this situation,” he said.

Checks revealed that announcement follows the fatal shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC. 

The suspect, who arrived in the US in 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome after assisting American forces in Afghanistan, was granted asylum earlier this year.


READ ALSO: Robert Stern: US Architect Behind 15 Central Park West Dies at 86




Comments